Board of Review
Duties of the Board of Review include:
- The Board of Review convenes on or before the first Monday in June.
- The Board consists of three members appointed by the County Board. In order to qualify for the appointment, a member must be qualified with experience and training in property appraisal. Two members must be from the political party receiving the highest vote for a County office and one member from the political party receiving the second highest vote for a County office.
- The Board hears all complaints on real property and on its own motion, it may increase or reduce any assessment.
- All complaints on assessments must be made in writing to the Board within 30 days after the publication of assessments. The complaint must be on the prescribed form and must have original signatures. No faxes are accepted.
- Adding omitted property.
- Equalizing assessments by township within the County.
- Issues certificates of error when an error in any assessment is discovered.
- Reviews and determines eligibility of application for Property Tax Exemptions, forwarding them to the Illinois Department of Revenue for final approval.
- Approves the Senior Citizen Assessment Freeze Homestead exemptions.
- The Board of Review adjourns when the work for that assessment year is completed and the assessment books are certified to the County Clerk.
Board of Review Complaint Form & Procedures (available soon)
2022 Real Estate Assessment Information
The official publication of Real Estate Assessments for 2022 has been published in the following papers.
- The Flash – Nora, Rush and Warren Townships
- The Galena Gazette – Council Hill, Dunleith, East Galena, Elizabeth, Guilford, Hanover, Menominee, Rawlins, Rice, Scales Mound, Vinegar Hill, West Galena and Woodbine Townships
- The Scoop – Apple River, Berreman, Derinda, Pleasant Valley, Stockton, Thompson and Wards Grove Townships
Property owners can also visit the Chief County Assessment Office located at 330 N Bench St, Room 105, Galena to receive assistance. They will not complete your form for you or look-up data. They will help guide you only.
The final filing date for assessment appeals in all townships located within Jo Daviess County is Wednesday, October 14, 2022 at 4PM. Property owners that decide to appeal must do so by completing the official Board of Review complaint form and following all directions. The complaint form and instructions may be downloaded from this website or by calling the Chief County Assessment Office at 815-777-1016. As well as the rules and procedures of the Board of Review. Sales reports for 2019, 2020, and 2021 are available at the links below for your convenience.
Complaints cannot be faxed or e-mailed. Complaints must be filed by the deadline below or if mailed must be postmarked by the deadline date. Complaints after the deadline will be dismissed. Metered mail - reference page 6, letter D of the Board of Review Rules.
For more information about Real Estate Assessments in Jo Daviess County, please click here.
CLICK HERE FOR 2022 REAL ESTATE ASSESSMENT LISTINGS BY TOWNSHIP